So, my birthday was a couple weeks ago. Â And yes, that number in the title corresponds to the number of birthdays I’ve had. Â And, no, I’m none to pleased about the proximity of the number that the aforementioned number rounds up too. Â But, I guess it’s better than the alternative, right?
I honor of this grand occasion, I’ve decided to take a cue from Xanthe. She’s a photographer in the UK. Â I discovered her blog and photography through the Shutter Sisters blog. Â On the 38th anniversary of her birth, Xanthe posted a list of things she like to do or accomplish in her 38th year – a.k.a her Birthday List.
That got me to thinking. Â Maybe it’s just the beginnings of the midlife crisis I will inevitably have in 4 yrs, but there are things I want to do in life and I don’t want to put them off any longer. Â So, without further adieu, in no particular order, here is My Birthday List.
My 36 Things:
- Learn to take really beautiful photographs.
- Actually complete a 365 Project…the daily photography practice should help achieve #1.
- Exercise regularly enough that it becomes part of my regular routine (like eating, going to work, brushing my teeth), not just be a project that I work on intently for a couple months and lose interest.
- Have more dinner parties.
- Enjoy my weekends, not just spend every Saturday simply running errands and cleaning my house.
- Hire a housekeeper. (Should help achieve #5).
- Plan a trip to the Oregon Wine Country/Willamette Valley.
- Make a budget and stick to it so as to boost general savings AND savings to pay for said Oregon trip.
- Call my grandmothers more often.
- Have intentional monthly dates with The Mr. …not just eating out because we didn’t have time or were too tired to cook at home.
- Explore Charlotte more.
- Explore NC more…I really wanna go to the Outer Banks. Â We’ve been North Carolinians for 7 yrs. It’s time.
- Finish buying furniture for and decorating our bedroom.
- Decorate, organize, and actually use my guest room/office space for something other than storing things that have no designated home.
- Actually complete the Couch to 5K app I downloaded to my iPhone a couple years ago. Â (I never seem to get past week 3…see #3).
- Make plans to stay at Blackberry Farm for some special occasion…or at least drop enough hints that The Mr. Â surprises me and whisks me away to there.
- Learn to maximize the potential of my photo editing software.
- Participate in more local cooking classes, wine, and beer tastings.
- Make a habit of going to bed on time and at the same time every day.
- Make getting as much local food as I can from the famer’s market that is literally 1 mi from my house a priority.
- Stick with and grow this blog.
- Use my car less and my bike more. Â (Should also help achieve #3)
- Live daily in the freedom of Grace, showing others the Grace that I’ve been shown.
- Have the guts to do something like this.
- Be intentional about cultivating my friendships.
- Go TO the movies more. Â It’s so much more fun than watching Netflix on my couch.
- Get a primary care physician. Â I have a couple specialists, but (ugh, as I get older) I need someone helping me look at the whole picture.
- Take more weekend trips.
- Sing more.
- Get a new haircut. Â (I’ve had the same one for 5 yrs now. Â It’s really cute…but I need something new).
- Memorize more Scripture.
- Make daily quiet time a priority and let that quiet time take many forms.
- Start going to the opera again.
- Start flossing daily. Â (I got through spurts where I’m really good about it, then I won’t do it for
weeksmonths on end. Â Just keeping it real…)
- Eat at my dining room table daily, not just when we have people over.
- Stop being bothered by having just turned 36.
A lot of these things aren’t major world or life changing things. Â Most of them aren’t sexy. Â Many aren’t deep. Â Some are. Â On some level, most are unmet goals that show a pattern of non-completion in my life. Â I want to be someone who finishes what I start, someone who sees things through to the end. Â What do you say? Â Wanna help keep me accountable?