The reason behind our recent trip back to Oxford was for me to attend a reunion. Â Being the kind of girl that takes more pictures of food than anything else on vacation I, of course, had a list of places that I wanted to hit while there. Â Here’s a brief little recap of the food, beverages, and fun.
1. Â Abner’s sauce = BEST. Â DIPPING. SAUCE. Â EVER. Â Abner’s is a chicken place that originated in Oxford, but has recently franchised a bit. Â This is the secret sauce that used to come standard with every order. Â Now they ask you what kind of sauce you want (Abner’s, BBQ, honey mustard, etc). Â That annoys me…It’s ABNER’S. Â Your ONLY choice should be ABNER’S SAUCE. Â If you want BBQ or honey mustard, go to Chick-fil-A.
2. Â City Grocery’s Shrimp and Grits – first on my list of things to eat while in Oxford. Â I’ve got the recipe and occasionally I make it myself at home, but it’s just never as good as when The Grocery makes it.
3. Â Saw these posted all around the Square. Â Like I need another reason to want to go back to Oxford…
4. Â The Timber Beast IPA from Mississippi’s own Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company that I used to wash down my Shrimp and Grits.
5. Â Courthouse on the Oxford Square. Â When I see this I know I’m home.
6. Â Beautiful latte from Bottletree Bakery.
7. Â No trip to Oxford is complete without Chicken on a Stick. Â SO YUMMY! Â It ain’t fancy. Â It’s fried. Â It’s chicken. Â It’s on a stick…Did I mention that you get it at a gas station? Â Also, it’s really only appropriate to eat it after midnight and partaking of Â
severalÂ adult beverages.
8. Â Sipping yet another Mississippi brew at Irie on the Square. Â This place is new to Oxford for me, but it was good for a post-banquet brew. Â Guess which one was mine…
9. Â Fun artwork in my director’s home that represents most of my time at Ole Miss and in Oxford this weekend.
10. Â Breakfast of champions on the way home. Â Technically, I didn’t get or take this in Oxford. Â It was taken in Atlanta on the way home from Mississippi, but I needed a 10th picture to make the collage work. Â So sue me…
Not pictured are:
- late Thursday night brews at Ajax DinerÂ (I had a Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan which you’ll read about in a later post)
- Friday night dinner banquet at the University Club
- Saturday morning breakfast at Big Bad BreakfastÂ (wasn’t in Oxford when I was there and that’s probably a good thing. Â The headline on their website says “Lard Have Mercy,” need I say more?)
- Saturday lunch at Proud Larry’sÂ (was very excited to see that my previous favorite Southwestern Pasta had made its way back on to the menu)
- and Saturday night dinner at Two Stick SushiÂ (I wasn’t a sushi fan when I was at Ole Miss, so I was a Two Stick virgin until last weekend…but I’ll definitely be going back for more)
And that, ladies and gentleman is how I ate my way around Oxford for 5 days!