The reason behind our recent trip back to Oxford was for me to attend a reunion. Being the kind of girl that takes more pictures of food than anything else on vacation I, of course, had a list of places that I wanted to hit while there. Here’s a brief little recap of the food, beverages, and fun.
1. Abner’s sauce = BEST. DIPPING. SAUCE. EVER. Abner’s is a chicken place that originated in Oxford, but has recently franchised a bit. This is the secret sauce that used to come standard with every order. Now they ask you what kind of sauce you want (Abner’s, BBQ, honey mustard, etc). That annoys me…It’s ABNER’S. Your ONLY choice should be ABNER’S SAUCE. If you want BBQ or honey mustard, go to Chick-fil-A.
2. City Grocery’s Shrimp and Grits – first on my list of things to eat while in Oxford. I’ve got the recipe and occasionally I make it myself at home, but it’s just never as good as when The Grocery makes it.
3. Saw these posted all around the Square. Like I need another reason to want to go back to Oxford…
4. The Timber Beast IPA from Mississippi’s own Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company that I used to wash down my Shrimp and Grits.
5. Courthouse on the Oxford Square. When I see this I know I’m home.
6. Beautiful latte from Bottletree Bakery.
7. No trip to Oxford is complete without Chicken on a Stick. SO YUMMY! It ain’t fancy. It’s fried. It’s chicken. It’s on a stick…Did I mention that you get it at a gas station? Also, it’s really only appropriate to eat it after midnight and partaking of
several adult beverages.
8. Sipping yet another Mississippi brew at Irie on the Square. This place is new to Oxford for me, but it was good for a post-banquet brew. Guess which one was mine…
9. Fun artwork in my director’s home that represents most of my time at Ole Miss and in Oxford this weekend.
10. Breakfast of champions on the way home. Technically, I didn’t get or take this in Oxford. It was taken in Atlanta on the way home from Mississippi, but I needed a 10th picture to make the collage work. So sue me…
Not pictured are:
- late Thursday night brews at Ajax Diner (I had a Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan which you’ll read about in a later post)
- Friday night dinner banquet at the University Club
- Saturday morning breakfast at Big Bad Breakfast (wasn’t in Oxford when I was there and that’s probably a good thing. The headline on their website says “Lard Have Mercy,” need I say more?)
- Saturday lunch at Proud Larry’s (was very excited to see that my previous favorite Southwestern Pasta had made its way back on to the menu)
- and Saturday night dinner at Two Stick Sushi (I wasn’t a sushi fan when I was at Ole Miss, so I was a Two Stick virgin until last weekend…but I’ll definitely be going back for more)
And that, ladies and gentleman is how I ate my way around Oxford for 5 days!